This was the episode where I gave away all my trade secrets regarding curry pastes, which I still sell online (though mostly to an elite group of people who’ve been buying them from me since my Orange Grove Market days).
I made 4 different types of curry pastes, but will only share one of the recipes here since they’re somewhat repetitive, plus you should be able to get the gist of them by watching the show (stick around to the end for my summary about the foundational ingredients to build your curry pastes on).
Meat Curry Paste Recipe (for 5kg of meat)
- 6 brown onions, pureed (or substitute with 350g fried shallots)
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 200g meat curry powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp salt
- ½ cup minced lemongrass
- 3 Tbps minced ginger
- 10 sprigs curry leaves
- Combine all ingredients and mix to a paste in a heavy-based pan.
- Fry until onion is browned and oil separates.
- Allow to cool, then divide into portions and keep in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks or in freezer for up to 6 months.
- To use, sauté 1kg meat with 1/5th paste from batch for 1-2 minutes. Add 400ml coconut cream and 200ml water and simmer covered on low heat, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked through and tender. Add more liquid during the cooking process as required.
- Remove and serve.