This was actually my third broadcast on the same recipe – the first one failed on a number of levels (main one being a 5-minute interruption while I was being served legal papers for a little hobby site I maintain, called RobbDemarestCheats.com).
The second one would have been perfect but for my Category 5 hayfever attack, which saw me ducking off screen every 30 seconds to wipe my nose.
Instead of wasting them I originally had this genius idea to extract bits from both to produce one cohesive video that meets my (admittedly low) standards for YouTube uploads. Then I realised continuity would be an issue because for the first time ever on Twitch, I had decided to wear something OTHER than my Jackie M t-shirt on one of the two broadcasts.
So here it goes – third time lucky –
Ayam Goreng Kremes
- 1kg chicken pieces
- 1 lemongrass, bottom 12cm only
- 1 brown onion, peeled and quartered
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3cm piece of galangal
- 3cm piece of ginger
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsps chicken powder
- ½ Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- Oil for deep-frying
For flour crisps –
- 5 Tbsps rice flour
- 3 Tbsp strained marinade
- 200ml water
- 200ml coconut milk
- Blend lemongrass, onion, garlic, galangal and ginger.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in heavy-based saucepan.
- Add chicken pieces and simmer until cooked through.
- Remove chicken and pat dry.
- Heat oil and fry chicken pieces for about 5 minute until skin is crispy and browned.
- Remove and drain.
- Remove some of the oil, leaving some to depth of about 3cm.
- Combine batter ingredients for crisps.
- Drizzle into oil and fry until crispy. Remove with a sieve and drain of excess oil.
- Top chicken pieces with flour crisps, then serve.
Ps. you can add a cup or more of desiccated coconut to the remaining marinade, then deep-fry that as well, to create a “serunding” (shreds of bits of thingys) that can also be used as a topping for the chicken.
Sambal for Fried Chicken
- 5 large chillies
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 ½ brown onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Blend chillies, tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Dry fry in heavy-based saucepan until some of the moisture has evaporated.
- Add oil and fry until aromatic.
- Add seasoning ingredients, cook a further minute, adjust to taste, then serve.