If you thought in this Twitch broadcast that my tone was a bit strident when telling my YouTube audience to stop watching right now if they were going to leave “unproductive comments”, this was the backstory – a comment on my soya milk live video that showed up right before I went On Air.
And yes, my latest M.O. is to troll the trolls with Bible verses. Everybody wins.
Vegan Nasi Lemak –
a) COCONUT RICE
- 4 cups jasmine rice
- Enough water to immerse rice to about 1cm above its surface
- 2 cups coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pandan leaves, tied in a knot (optional)
- Rinse rice, then add water, salt and pandan leaves. Cook on high heat, covered.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to a minimum and continue cooking until water is absorbed.
- Open lid and add coconut milk, cover and cook a further 15 minutes on lowest heat setting.
- Stir coconut milk through rice, remove from heat and keep lid covered another 10 minutes.
- Serve with nasi lemak condiments including cucumber slices, fried peanuts (skin on), sambal ikan bilis and curry.
b) VEGAN IKAN BILIS
- 2 sheets beancurd skin
- 1 sheet seaweed, cut into 3-cm strips
- 3 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 Tbsp rice flour
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps mushroom seasoning
- 1 tsp pepper
- Oil for deep-frying
- Combine flours and seasoning with water. Mix to a paste.
- Spread out beancurd skin and smear with paste.
- Place strips of seaweed lengthwise on it, then spread some paste on the seaweed layer.
- Roll beancurd skin into a thin, long roll. Repeat.
- Steam for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Cut rolls into 6cm lengths, then cut lengthwise into thin strips that look like dried anchovies (ikan bilis)
- Heat oil and deep-fry until crispy. Remove and drain.
c) VEGAN IKAN BILIS SAMBAL SAUCE
- ½ brown onion, sliced
- ½ brown onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 large red chillies
- 1 stem lemongrass, bruised
- 4 Tbsp tamarind concentrate
- 2 Tbsps mushroom seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 4 Tbsps oil
- Blend ½ brown onion, garlic and chillies in food processor.
- Transfer into heavy-based wok or pan and saute until some of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add oil and fry until aromatic and light brown in colour.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer. Adjust seasoning, then mix in vegan ikan bilis.
- Remove from heat and serve.
d) EGGPLANT RENDANG
- 1 large eggplant, cut into chunks
- Oil for frying
- 1 Tbsp rendang curry powder
- ½ onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lemongrass, bottom 5” only
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp mushroom seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp soya sauce (optional)
- 3 Tbsp oil
- Fry eggplant until browned (I deep-fry but that’s not necessary). Remove from oil and transfer into colander.
- Blend onion, garlic and lemongrass in food processor.
- Transfer into heavy-based wok, add rendang curry powder and mix to a paste.
- Add oil and fry until aromatic and browned.
- Add other ingredients and bring to a low simmer.
- Add eggplant, adjust seasoning, then remove from heat and serve.