I’m reminded it’s been a week since I bought the two backup sim cards and neither of them are activated yet. One’s the wrong size for the modem it came with, and the other has had its activation delayed thanks to problems at the reseller’s end. I’m not freaking out so far but I probably should start drafting the inevitable blog post complaining about Australia’s failed telecommunications infrastructure (I’m known for that sort of thing at Medium.com/@jackiem and SerembanGirl.com)
Another short broadcast thanks to my declining voice –
Singapore Chilli Crab Recipe
- 1 kg crab, cleaned and halved
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 1 brown onion, minced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 large chillies, minced
- 4 slices ginger
- 2 Tbsps ketchup
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp chicken powder
- Dash of soya sauce (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch + 2 Tbsps water
- 1 egg
- Oil for deep-frying
- Heat oil for deep-frying.
- Coat crab pieces in egg wash followed by tapioca starch
- Fry in oil for 3 minutes, then remove and drain.
- Heat pan and add onion, garlic, chillies and ginger.
- Fry for a minute, then add about 3-4 Tbsps oil. Saute for 5-10 minutes or until oil separates.
- Add ketchup, sugar, lemon juice, chicken powder and 2 cups water and bring to a simmer.
- Add crab, cover and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and add dash of soya sauce if required.
- Thicken with tapioca starch & water mixture.
- Turn off the heat, remove crab pieces with slotted spoon, then add egg in sauce and swirl to create a runny egg sauce texture.
- Pour sauce over crab and serve.