I’d promoted this broadcast earlier in the day as one where I wouldn’t be speaking because I’d lost my voice, yet as soon as the “Live” signal came on started babbling like I always do. It seemed aside from a couple of coughing fits, that I’d managed to pull it off. Then I woke up the next day and realised what WebMD (where I get all my medical advice) said about resting your voice was in fact what I should have done. I’ve barely managed to raise my voice beyond a whisper since.
- 3 cups jasmine rice, rinsed and strained
- 2 pandan leaves, tied in a knot (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ½ tsp salt
- In a steaming tray, combine all ingredients except coconut cream. (In my broadcast I used a round tray with a mesh bottom but the mesh isn’t that critical – I used to steam my rice in regular trays at my restaurant.)
- Steam on high heat for 20 minutes. Stir in coconut cream and steam a further 20 minutes.
- Check if done and sprinkle more water and cook further if required, until rice is fluffy.
- Serve with Dried Anchovy Sambal, fried peanuts (with skin on), boiled egg and cucumber slices.
Sambal Ikan Bilis Bersantan (Dried Anchovy Sambal with Coconut Milk)
- 1 cup dried anchovies, rinsed and strained
- 2 cups oil
- 2 Tbsps minced garlic
- 1 brown onion, minced
- 1 lemongrass, bruised and tied in knot
- ¼ cup chilli paste (from dried or fresh chillies)
- 3-4 Tbsps tamarind concentrate
- 2 tsps belacan (shrimp paste)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 chicken powder
- Dash of soya sauce (optional)
- Heat oil and fry anchovies until crispy. Remove and strain.
- Heat 4 Tbsps oil and brown garlic, then add onion and fry until a light brown colour.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Add anchovies and mix well. Remove from heat and serve.
- 10 banana prawns
- 4 Tbsp tamarind concentrate
- 1 tsp thick soya sauce aka cooking caramel
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp chicken powder
- Dash of soya sauce
- Oil for pan-frying
- Marinate prawns with all other ingredients for about 20 minutes
- Heat about 2 Tbsps oil in non-stick pan, then add prawns (without sauce from marinade) and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsps sauce from the marinade and simmer on low heat until prawns are caramelised and cooked through.
- Serve with coconut rice or plain boiled rice.