I mentioned during the broadcast that I was missing a couple of ingredients and I also skipped a step at the end, but the recipe here reflects the “unadulterated” version.
Crab with Salted Egg Yolk Sauce Recipe
- 1kg crab pieces
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
- Oil for deep-frying
- Yolks from 3 salted eggs, cooked
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp chicken powder
- Some curry leaves
- ¼ tsp chilli powder or 2 tsp sliced bird’s eye chillies (optional)
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 200ml evaporated milk or fresh milk
- Heat oil in deep wok to about 180°C.
- Drench crab pieces first in egg, then in tapioca starch.
- Deep-fry for about 2 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Remove oil from wok.
- Mash cooked salted egg yolks in food processor or with fork.
- Transfer into wok with butter and cook for 1 minute.
- Add curry leaves and chilli (if using) and fry a further 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, chicken powder and milk.
- Blend with stick blender to achieve a smooth consistency (optional).
- Bring to a low simmer, transfer crab pieces into wok and coat well with sauce.
- Remove and serve.