Crispy Shredded Beef or Chicken Peking-Style Recipe
- 500g chicken breast or beef cut into thin strips
- 1 egg
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2-3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- ¼ cup carrot cut into long, thin shreds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 whole chillies, sliced
- 1 stalk green onion, sliced
- Oil for deep-frying
- Heat up oil to about 180°C.
- Crack egg in bowl and toss meat in it.
- Transfer meat into separate bowl and add tapioca starch and salt. Coat well.
- Gently separate the strands before adding to oil. Deep-fry for 10 minutes or until the oil bubbles start to dissipate.
- Transfer onto paper towels or colander.
- Deep-fry carrot until crispy, then remove.
- Remove all but 1 Tbsp oil from wok.
- Saute garlic, chilli and green onions, add hoisin sauce, tomato ketchup, sugar and lemon juice.
- Simmer briefly, then add meat and carrot shreds.
- Toss well and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Remove from heat and serve.