Recipe by Grand Hyatt Hotel Kuala Lumpur
I’ve talked at length about the different varieties of Laksa in Malaysia and posted videos and Hangouts and recipes to cover some of them. Clearly there’s no such thing as too many laksa recipes because I’ve been asked by some of you to share the one for the Curry Laksa featured in one of my Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur Hangouts-on-Air.
Click to watch my Popiah and Curry Laksa Hangout-on-Air >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYe-1dr0MBU
When my crew and I were hosted by Grand Hyatt late last year, we were completely blown away by their incredible buffet spreads. I have to admit I went a bit crazy with the food, but in my defence, our stay coincided with Ramadan and the hotel’s brasserie JP Teres were doing a Balik Kampung (read: extravagant feast) special for the month to celebrate.
Despite the endless variety of dishes on offer however, Morgan (cameraman and host of The Travel Bug) and Alex (our director) would keep going for the Curry Laksa at every meal.
They developed a love affair with the Grand Hyatt laksa that I’m sure they still talk about to this day.
Anyhow, this is my much-delayed share of the recipe as supplied by Grand Hyatt KL – let me know if any questions 🙂
For the soup –
1 kg onions
500g fresh big chillies
100g dried shrimp
200mL cooking oil
100g bunga kantan (ginger flower bud)
40g laksa leaves (Vietnamese mint aka daum kesum)
300g meat curry powder
200g coriander powder
1L coconut cream
- Blend all ingredients except for coconut cream.
- Sauté until oil separates, then boil in a large pot.
- Reduce to a curry stock, then add coconut cream and bring to a low simmer.
- Adjust seasoning (chicken stock granules, hint of sugar etc.) before serving.
For the noodles –
4 cooked prawns
10g fish cake slices
30g cooked chicken slices
30g snake beans
100g egg noodles
- Braise beancurd in laksa soup until soft.
- Blanch noodles with beansprouts and place in a noodle bowl.
- Place prawns, chicken, hard boiled egg and snake beans on noodle.
- Top with laksa soup and beancurd puffs.
- Serve with homemade chilli sambal.